Welcome!

At Training by Ross you will find fitness resources to help you live a happy, healthier, better-looking life!



Folks, I am a fatloss expert. If you're looking to lose weight, get lean and stay lean -
e-mail me at COACHROSSMDB@GMAIL.COM or call 402-708-5575 now!






Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Not All Weight Loss Is Created Equal

Not All Weight Loss Is Created Equal


Happy Spring! Before getting started, a side rant (as opposed to a side note?)!

I was watching 60 minutes Sunday evening before one of my favorite shows (The Amazing Race). Normally, I get extremely irritated when Andy Rooney shoots his mouth off with his editorial comments. He only delays the start of something I'd much rather watch. This time, he actually had something worthwhile to say - which was, enjoy the NOW. He seemed irritated that people are already saying that summer is just around the corner. Technically, it's not. It's still 69 days away (71 days as of Sunday night's airing). SPRING is here! It just started, so get out there and enjoy it. Summer will be here soon enough.

Onward.

Something I've been hearing a lot lately is, from a coach's perspective, irritating. What's got my boxers in a bunch? Well, I keep hearing this stuff about people losing weight through diet alone, or diet and cardio (i.e. running/jogging/walking). So you've lost 30 lbs. without working out. "Good for you." I wish I could be as happy for you as I'd like to be.

Allow me to explain. It's not that I have a problem that these people have lost weight. I think it's great. They've made a move to change their life, look better, and improve their health. They just didn't do it in a well-informed manner. Sorry. Many people probably aren't aware of this, but not all weight loss is created equal. Let's say I have two close friends that have lost some weight. Let's say their names are Josh and Jane.

***ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) MOMENT ALERT: As I type this, Kelli (my girlfriend) asked me to go get her a cookie (like, get in my car and go get a big one type "cookie"). Really? While I'm typing a weight loss article for my fitness blog? Of course, my answer is NO! Hahahaha! I mean, "Ok, honey...maybe later...."***

Sorry, I digress. Now where were we? Oh yes. Josh and Jane. Actually, let's make this Jeff and Josh so we can keep these people on an even playing field.

(I hope you all are keeping up!)

Both Jeff and Josh are 30 year olds weighing 200 lbs. at 30% body fat. They are exactly the same height and - you guessed it, they're twins! Both are going to Weight Watchers to get their nutrition under control. Jeff decides he's also going to jog every morning, 6 days per week. Josh is hitting the weights at the gym 3 days per week in addition to jogging 3 days per week. So both guys are exercising 6 days per week.

After 12 weeks, Jeff has lost 30 lbs.! Josh, however, has only lost 25 lbs. - which is still good, of course. Jeff starts gloating about how all he had to do was eat right and run around his neighborhood. "See!?" he says, "You don't need to go to a gym to lose weight!" But all is not what it seems. Let's take a closer look at what TYPE of weight each person has lost.

There are two types of weight I look at as a trainer. Fat mass (FM) and lean body mass (LBM). We all know what fat is, so for those of you who aren't aware of what lean body mass is - it's everything else. This includes muscle, blood, water, glycogen (stored carbohydrate), and bone.

If we were looking at scale weight alone, Jeff would be the clear winner. But I'm about to show you why he's the clear loser - the victim of physiological ignorance! While Jeff lost 30 lbs., what he didn't realize is that he only lost 20 lbs. of fat. The rest of it was precious LBM. That's right, he's also lost some muscle. What a shame. Josh, however, lost 30 lbs. of PURE FAT. That's ten more pounds of fat than Jeff lost! He did not lose ANY LBM, and he even gained 5 lbs. of muscle! Lifting weights only 3 times per week preserved the lean mass he started with, he then gained muscle, and finally he lost even more fat than he would have without lifting weights. Good job, Josh!

Starting body fat was 30 % for both individuals. Ending body fat? Jeff weighed in at 170 lbs. with 23.5% body fat and Josh weighed in at 175 lbs. with 17.3% body fat. Josh wins, hands down. Sorry, Jeff!

Studies have shown that people who reduce their calories to lose weight and participate in resistance training 3 times per week maintain or gain LBM and maintain their metabolism. Unfortunately, those who only do cardio and reduce their caloric intake alone can't hope for the same. So, if that describes you - it's really time to get into the gym and pump some iron. Seriously. There's nothing good about losing LBM.

I hope everyone now understands the importance of lifting weights to lose weight, reshape their body, and look great.

Have a great day!

Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment